The Official Blog of Biltmore®
- Our Team at Work
- Around the House
- Insider Tips
- The Vanderbilt Family
- New at Biltmore
- In the Historic Archives
- Things We Love
- On the Curator's Desk
- Biltmore In The News
Wreathed in wonder
Christmas at Biltmore is a season wreathed in wonder when we honor George and Edith Vanderbilt’s legacy of warm welcome and holiday hospitality at Biltmore House. From dozens of beautifully decorated trees and miles of fresh garland to thousands of sparkling ornaments, it’s difficult to imagine a more beautiful display throughout America’s largest home.
Wreaths add a delightfully decorative touch to the décor at Biltmore, highlighting doors and other architectural features. Whether you want to greet your guests with a front door focal point or add a bit of Christmas cheer to an interior space, our Floral team offers some simple techniques for styling your own wreaths.
- Silk evergreen wreath
- 3 Belk decorative bird ornaments (we love the clips on these—they’re attach easily to wreaths, trees or even packages!)
- Selection of smaller Belk metallic ornaments in different shapes and sizes
- Several yards each of 2 types of ribbon (we chose sheer and metallic varieties)
Secure the ends of the ribbons near the bottom of the wreath. Begin weaving and tucking the ribbons into the wreath together, but allow plenty of movement so that each ribbon is visible. The sheer ribbon, in particular, should be very loose so that it “floats” over the more solid ribbon in some places. After weaving the ribbons around the wreath, tie a bow near the bottom.
Place a decorative bird near or even inside the bow. Add a second bird near the top of the wreath, and the final bird about halfway down the other side. This provides a “triangle of interest” that keeps the wreath from looking too symmetrical. Scatter smaller ornaments singly and in groups of 3 around the wreath, balancing each grouping in relation to the birds and the bow. Step back from your work occasionally to ensure no area of the wreath looks too heavy or unbalanced.
No time to do it yourself this season? Simply choose a ready-made wreath from our For Your Home Collection at Belk and hang up your holiday décor in moments!
• For a more formal look, tie a separate bow using yards of two ribbons and wire it in place near the bottom of the wreath (you’ll need approximately 3 yards of each ribbon to make a full bow)
• To make a wreath more personal, include a few of your favorite vintage ornaments
• Tuck flowers and other natural elements into your wreath for additional layers of rich texture
Biltmore For Your Home ornaments and wreaths available at Belk and Belk.com seasonally.
Discover more products inspired by Biltmore.Return to Blog