What is Biltmore?
In 1888, George Washington Vanderbilt was captivated by the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, NC and decided to build a country home there away from the pressures of city life. The retreat he envisioned grew into a 250-room, French-style château surrounded by a pleasure park and formal gardens.
More than a century later, Biltmore continues to be a self-sustaining working estate now covering 8,000 acres. Still an oasis as it was in Mr. Vanderbilt's time, Biltmore welcomes more than a million guests a year to America's largest private residence. Our company has grown to include restaurants, shops, an award-winning winery, outdoor activities and programs, a four-star and four-diamond inn, and a product-licensing business that includes home furnishings, home building products, and outdoor living and landscape products. Our diversity has allowed us to continue to fulfill our mission of preservation, profitability, and self-sufficiency, and has created job opportunities in a variety of fields.
Our mission is to preserve Biltmore as a privately-owned, profitable working estate. We accomplish this through preserving, protecting, and enhancing the land, structures, and collections that are part of the estate. Based on the company's guiding principles, we select people who put their heart into a job well-done, thrive in a service-oriented environment, and enjoy extending world-class hospitality to their co-workers and estate guests.
- Community: We strive to make a difference as individuals and as a company in our community.
- Hospitality: Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests and embody Southern hospitality.
- Integrity: We live out our company values and hold one another to a high standard of behavior.
- Profitability: We enact good business practices that enable us to be profitable while preserving our century-old estate.
- Teamwork: We are committed to the outstanding results that come from a varied workforce.
- Authenticity: Our business is based on our history and heritage.
- Quality: We strive to be the best in all of our endeavors.
- Leadership: We encourage creative thinking that places us at the cutting edge of our industry.