Sparkling Dinner for Two
Pair each course with Biltmore Estate® Blanc de Blancs, this versatile and food-friendly sparkler is a great match with each dish from starter to dessert. Looking for more adventure when pairing sparkling wine? See the pairings noted with each course to sample a variety of sparkling wine styles.
Begin with a glass of Biltmore Estate® Blanc de Noir to start the evening in style.
Arugula and Endive Salad with Vanilla-Roasted Pears and Blue Cheese
Pair with Biltmore Estate® Brut: This well-balanced cuvee is a traditional blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier grapes and is a delightful companion to this sweet yet savory salad.Vanilla-Roasted Pears
Ingredients: • 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup water
• 1 vanilla bean, split
• 1/2 cup apple juice
• 1/2 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
• 1 Bartlett pear Method: Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Combine the sugar, water and vanilla bean in a saucepan. Simmer for 10–15 minutes or until syrupy. Add the apple juice and vinegar, simmer for 5 minutes.
Peel the pear and cut in half lengthwise. Place in a deep baking dish and pour the apple juice mixture over the top. Cover the foil and roast for 1 hour or until tender, basting after 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid and removing the vanilla bean. Slice the pears as desired. Champagne Vinaigrette
Ingredients: • 1 1/2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil Method: Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.
Combine the vinegar, shallot, honey and Dijon mustard in a blender. Add the oil gradually, processing constantly at a low speed until thickened. Season with salt and white pepper. Pour into a container and store until serving time. Salad
Ingredients: • 4 ounces arugula
• 1 head Belgian endive, split and sliced
• 3 ounces crumbled Clemson blue cheese Method: Salt and cracked pepper to taste Combine the arugula, endive and blue cheese in a salad bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the pears and the desired amount of Champagne Vinaigrette, toss to coat well. Spoon onto salad plates and drizzle with the reserved cooking liquid if desired for additional sweetness.
Shrimp-Stuffed Rigatoni in Chardonnay Thyme Sauce
Pair with Biltmore Estate® Chateau Reserve Blanc de Blancs - North Carolina: This sparkler is made from 100% Chardonnay grapes which not only complement the wine used in the sauce but also accentuate the rich simplicity of this dish.Chardonnay Thyme Sauce
Ingredients: • 2 garlic cloves
• 1 shallot thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/4 cup Biltmore® Reserve Chardonnay
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/2 cup heavy cream Method: Sweat the garlic and shallot in the olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until tender. Add the wine, stirring to deglaze the saucepan. Add the bay leaf and cook until the mixture is reduced by 3/4. Add the cream and cook until reduced by 1/2. Keep warm until ready to use. Shrimp-Stuffed Rigatoni
Ingredients: • 1/2 cup uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 14 rigatoni, cooked al dente and drained
• Chardonnay Thyme Sauce (below)
• 1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 6 basil leaves Garnish
Ingredients: • 3 ounces fresh crab meat
• 1 tomato, peeled, chopped and sautéed in butter Method: Combine the shrimp and garlic in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Add the egg and process until smooth. Add the cream gradually, processing to form a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon into a mixing bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon thyme.
Spoon half of the shrimp mixture at a time into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip and pipe into the cooked rigatoni. Add the stuffed rigatoni to the Chardonnay Thyme Sauce and cook until the shrimp mixture is cooked through.
Discard the bay leaf and stir in the butter, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon thyme and the basil. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon onto serving plates and garnish.
Pair with Biltmore Estate® Pas de Deux: This sparkler is just sweet enough to complement this elegant dessert.Tart Pastry
Ingredients: • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/4 cup sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour Method: Combine the butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Cream with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and scrape the side of the bowl. Add the flour gradually, mixing until incorporated. Shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator 2–8 hours. Streusel Topping
Ingredients: • 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cup butter, melted Method: Mix the flour and brown sugar in a small bowl. Add the butter and work with your fingers until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Tart
Ingredients: • 4 or 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves Method: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a bowl. Garnish
Ingredients: • Sliced dried figs
• Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream Method: Spray a tart pan with a removable bottom with nonstick cooking spray. Roll the tart pastry 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Place in the prepared pan, pressing into the bottom and trimming excess dough. Spoon the apple mixture into the tart shell and sprinkle with the topping.
Bake for 25–30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove to a serving plate and garnish with figs. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.