Estate history and gracious hospitality meet for a secluded escape in the Cottage at The Inn on Biltmore Estate. This modest cottage sits along the estate exit road and offers quiet views of Biltmore’s meadows and the French Broad River. Most who pass by never guess its important role in estate history and the hidden luxury inside.
The History of the Market Gardener’s Cottage
Originally known as the Market Gardener’s Cottage, the house was designed by Biltmore House architect Richard Morris Hunt and built in 1896. It was the home of Biltmore’s market gardener who managed the estate’s vegetable gardens and greenhouses.
The gardens and greenhouses supplied Biltmore House with seasonal fruits and vegetables. In times of an abundant harvest, the excess was sold to the community and the Market Gardner’s Cottage was transformed into a mini-farmer’s market. The cottage’s courtyard served as a vegetable packing house and wholesale outlet for local merchants.
A New Vision for the Cottage
Floods in 1896 and 1901 resulted in massive damage to the estate’s agricultural operations and the cottage. The market garden closed and the cottage was later renovated to provide accommodations for visiting VIPs.
In 2005, major renovations began to transform the cottage into the luxurious oasis that is now the Cottage at The Inn on Biltmore Estate. The two-bedroom and two-bath cottage offers privacy and all the amenities provided to Inn on Biltmore Estate guests.
The European Plan and Bed & Breakfast Package is available when booking the cottage. In addition to package amenities, optional services such as butler service and custom meals prepared by a private chef are available.