Marinated Smoked Oysters and Shrimp
This tasty appetizer will elevate your holiday meal to a new level.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 pound cedar or alder wood chips
- 1 pound shrimp
- sized 16/20 or 21/25
- tail on
- peeled and deveined
- 1 pound shucked select oysters (at least 2 inches x 1.5 inches)
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- yellow part only
- ¼ cup Italian flat leaf parsley
- chopped and loosely packed
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- French baguette
- Hot sauce
Soak wood chips 30 minutes to an hour. Preheat stove top smoker with soaked woodchips until smoking, or heat charcoal grill with lid to 300 degrees and add soaked woodchips directly on top of hot coals.
Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Lightly season shrimp and with salt and place into smoking rack or grill pan. Smoke 8–12 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Repeat process with oysters. Zest lemon, chop parsley, and mince garlic. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and add to shrimp and oysters.
Serve chilled but not ice cold, with grilled baguette, crackers, and hot sauce. Chef's tip: can be made up to 24 hours in advance if kept refrigerated.