The Official Blog of Biltmore®
- Our Team at Work
- Around the House
- Insider Tips
- The Vanderbilt Family
- New at Biltmore
- In the Historic Archives
- Things We Love
- On the Curator's Desk
- Biltmore In The News
National Historic Landmark designation illustrates U.S. heritage
May 23 marks a Biltmore milestone: on that day in 1963, the estate was officially nominated as a National Historic Landmark.
The original landmark designation was based on the theme “Conservation of Natural Resources.” The description for Biltmore was:
At Biltmore, the George W. Vanderbilt estate near Asheville, Gifford Pinchot demonstrated for the first time in the United States that scientific forest management could be profitable and was, thus, good business practice. Another ‘first’ in forestry occurred here in 1898 when the first forestry school in the United States was opened, the Biltmore Forest School, headed by Dr. Carl A. Schenck. Nearly 87,000 acres of the estate’s forest land is now included in Pisgah National Forest. The building in which the school was conducted is owned by the city of Asheville and used today for offices.
Dr. Carl A. Schenck with Biltmore Forest School students, 1900*
Beginning in 2000, Biltmore began an effort to expand the landmark designation beyond conservation to include the themes of architecture, landscape architecture, and social history, and to extend the period of significance to 1950 to include the contributions of Chauncey Beadle, estate superintendent, and improvements and significance of the Biltmore Dairy during those years. The Secretary of the Interior approved this expansion on April 5, 2005.
Estate Superintendent Chauncey Beadle, 1948
Bill Alexander, former landscape and forest historian and participant in the five-year project of gathering additional documentation for the expanded designation, said that Biltmore has to submit periodic reports to the National Park Service to describe any changes occurring to the property, including natural disasters and damage such as the floods and tree loss caused by Hurricanes Frances and Ivan in 2005.
He also noted that the building referenced in the original nomination is located in Biltmore Village.
“The office building at 1 Biltmore Plaza was where the Biltmore Forest School held its fall and winter classes for a number of years,” Bill said. “It was the first new, permanent structure completed in Biltmore Village after George Vanderbilt purchased the village in 1894, followed by the passenger train depot in 1895 and All Souls Church in 1896, all designed by architect Richard Morris Hunt.”
1 Biltmore Plaza in Biltmore Village, 1895
“Biltmore sold the office building to the City of Asheville in 1929, and leased the downstairs for corporate offices while the upstairs was used as a substation of the Asheville Fire Department.”
Biltmore eventually repurchased the building and currently uses it for office space.
The National Park Service lists more than 2,500 historic properties “that illustrate the heritage of the United States.” National Historic Landmarks include historic buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts, with each landmark representing an outstanding aspect of American history and culture.
Feature image: West façade of Biltmore House with Lagoon and French Broad River in foreground, 1900
*Image courtesy of National Forests of North Carolina Historic Photographs, D.H. Ramsey Library Special Collections, University of North Carolina Asheville, Asheville, NC