Chill, Grill, and Thrill—3 Easy Steps to Summer Entertaining
All Things Biltmore • 07/06/17
Written By Jean Sexton
Summer entertainment at Biltmore was a favorite pastime for the Vanderbilts and their guests. From birthday parties in the Rose Garden to picnics on the grassy slopes of Mt. Pisgah, warm weather offered the perfect excuse to leave formal dining behind and enjoy a gathering in the great outdoors.
Inspired by their example, we’ve paired pieces from our Artisan Serveware Collection with three easy “chill, grill, and thrill” steps to simplify your summer entertaining whether you’re in the kitchen, on the deck, by the pool—or wherever your plans take you.
Chill, Grill, and Thrill
1) Chill: First, let’s start with an easy and delicious recipe for Tomatillo Grilled Skirt Steak from our Biltmore chefs. The tomatillo “salsa” doubles as a marinade for the steak, so prepare that first and let the meat chill for 1–3 hours.
- While chilling the meat, select your favorite wine and chill prior to serving with the meal. We recommend our Vanderbilt Chiller to keep your wine chilled and to add stylte to your table. Our winemakers recommend Biltmore Estate Limited Release Malbec—a rich and fruit-forward red wine with intense spice, blueberry, and plum aromas that pairs perfectly with this recipe. Prepare a fresh salad in our Artisan Acacia Mixing Bowl; toss lightly and serve with our Artisan Acacia Salad Claws. Next, heat the grill.
2) Grill: place the marinated steak on the grill for about 10 minutes or until it reaches your preferred level of doneness. Remove from heat and place it on our Artisan Acacia Wood Carving Board, allowing it to rest for a few minutes.
- While the grill is still hot, split and toast a couple of baguettes. Add them to the Artisan Acacia & Marble Oval Cheeseboard for serving.
3) Thrill: Slice the steak and top with reserved salsa. Garnish with fresh heirloom tomatoes, dressed in lemon juice and olive oil and bring the whole delicious entrée to the table on the cutting board—no need to transfer to another platter. Gather your guests and enjoy the thrill of fresh summer dining done the easy way!