Wine Pairing With Rustic Flatbread Recipe
Wine & Food 08/10/13
Written By Sharon Fenchak
The Bistro, located at the Biltmore Winery, is noted for its emphasis on field-to-table fresh seasonal fare. With this delicious new recipe for Rustic Grilled Veggie Flatbread, the Bistro's chef turns a simple summertime dish into an instant classic.
Our Biltmore Chardonnay Sur Lies is slightly sweeter than a traditional Chardonnay and makes a perfect partner for the grilled flavor of the bread and vegetables. The term sur lies refers to the wine having been aged “on the lees” or sediment, a process that adds layers of complexity and richness to the taste.
Rustic Grilled Veggie Flatbread
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/2 inch slices on bias
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed of woody stems
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, quartered
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 portions flat bread such as naan or pita
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1 cup pickled red onions, optional
Pickled Red Onions Ingredients
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 large red onion cut into 1/4 inch strips
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat. Combine feta, yogurt, and cayenne, and mix well, mashing with a fork. Brush eggplant, asparagus, and romaine with moderate amount of oil. Season with salt and grill until charred on all sides, 3–5 minutes. Next, brush flat bread on both sides with oil and season with salt. Grill until both sides are browned but flatbread is still soft. To serve, spread liberal amount of feta-yogurt mixture on each piece of bread. Add basil, grilled vegetables, romaine, diced tomatoes, and pickled red onions. Fold in half and serve immediately.
Pickled Red Onions: Combine first 4 ingredients in a sauce pan over high heat until sugar and salt dissolve. Turn off heat, add onions, and let stand 1 hour. Can be refrigerated up to 7 days.