Granny Smith Apple and Gruyere Bread Pudding
Biltmore Reserve Chardonnay North Carolina
Looking for the perfect Biltmore wine to pair with this dish? We have just the selection for a truly tasty meal.
See All Recipes
CUSTOMER REVIEWS - Be the first to submit a review
This recipe, from the Bistro, is a decadent savory bread pudding with a wealth of flavors mingled throughout! Pair with Biltmore Reserve Chardonnay North Carolina.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, Cook Time: 70 minutes
- 9 large baked croissants - cut into large cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples - peeled and diced
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup cooked smoked bacon - chopped
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon fat
- 1/2 cup leeks - diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger - finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic - minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage - chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 large eggs - beaten
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 325°F. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add butter and reserved bacon fat. Add leeks, garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, and cook, stirring often until leeks are soft (but not browned), approximately 10-12 minutes.
Add apples, bacon, and chopped herbs, and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs, then add cream and milk. Whisk together until incorporated. In a separate large mixing bowl add cubed croissants, cooked apple mixture, and Gruyere cheese. Mix thoroughly. Add cream mixture into croissant mixture, season with salt and black pepper, and gently incorporate until well mixed.
Let pudding mixture sit for 5 minutes. Butter a medium sized casserole dish and distribute pudding mixture evenly in dish. Tightly cover with foil and bake for 45-60 minutes, until set in the middle. Remove the foil and continue to bake for additional 10 minutes until browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.