BACK TO BLOG
Biltmore Gardens Railway: A Structural Comparison
Estate History 07/07/19
Written By Amy Dangelico
Twice a year, the Conservatory is transformed into a wonderland of creativity. Discover Biltmore Gardens Railway, featuring miniature estate landmark replicas made of all-natural materials gathered from Biltmore’s grounds. Let’s take an up-close look at the attention to detail paid to the recreations of these historic structures.
About the Lodge Gate Recreation
- Materials collected from the estate: horse chestnut, magnolia leaves, pine bark, hickory nuts, lotus pods, contorted Filbert, bamboo, winged bean, pine cone scales, and acorn caps
- Dimensions: 28”x22”x15”
- Time to complete: 275+ hours
About the Conservatory Recreation
- Materials collected from the estate: horse chestnut, pine bark, anise, honeysuckle, ash, winged euonymus, contorted Filbert, and oak bark
- Dimensions: 21”x52”x14”
- Time to complete: 350+ hours
About the Biltmore House Recreation
- Materials collected from the estate: baby acorns, acorn caps, star anise, pine cone, contorted Filbert, grapevine, honeysuckle, eucalyptus leaves, bamboo, ash bark, oak bark, and elm bark
- Dimensions: 66”x122”x55”
- Time to complete: 1700+ hours
The enchantment of Biltmore Gardens Railway is a semi-annual event at Biltmore. Check our event listing for upcoming dates and plan your visit today!
The Gardens Railway is spectacular! My 2 year old was transfixed, as was I.
See it before the train leaves the station!
Can’t wait to plan my visit!
I am curious as to who made these beautiful replicas?
The botanical models were created for us by Applied Imagination.