Personal Data is any information which is related to an identified or identifiable natural person, including but not limited to name, identification number, location data, online identifier, email address, etc. The Personal Data we collect from customers, users of our Sites, partners and service providers helps us deliver services, manage our business, and personalize aa well as continually improve your Biltmore experience. We may collect Personal Data during every interaction with you including when you visit our Sites, stay with us on-property, inquire about our offerings by phone, provide services to us, etc. The types of Personal Data we may collect, and the activities where data is collected, include:
- Email address
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Credit and debit card number or other payment data
- Driver’s license or other government-issued identification data
- Important dates, such as birthdays, anniversaries and special occasions
- Employer details
- Travel itinerary, tour group or activity data
- Prior stay information, goods and services purchased, special service and amenity requests
- Geolocation information
- Customer preferences and personalized data (“Personal Preferences”), such as your interests, activities, hobbies, food and beverage choices, services and amenities of which you advise us or which we learn about during your visit such as spa preferences, equipment rentals and child care
- Language preference
- Data about family members and companions, such as names and ages of children
- Images and video and audio data from security cameras located in public areas; and (b) body-worn cameras carried by our staff and security personnel
- Personal Data about you from other sources and add it to your account information
- IP address
- Location Information
- Browser type and language, access time, and referring website address
- The pages you view within our Sites and other actions you take while visiting us
- Information related to whether you've opened an e-mail or clicked on a link contained in an e-mail
- If you are referred to our Sites from another source (an advertising site, a blog, a social media site, etc.), we may collect data about the sites which referred you.
- Some features of our Sites allow users to make data public or engage in other sharing activities. For example, if you post content or otherwise participate in discussion forums or other social areas of our Sites, your participation (including the content you post, your name, and a link to your profile) may be shared across our Sites and in other public or private areas of the internet
Collecting information through automated means allows us to collect statistics about the usage and effectiveness of our Sites, personalize your experience on our Sites, and tailor our interactions with you. For details regarding the technologies we employ, see our Cookies Policy here, and the section below regarding Cookies, Web Beacons and Similar Technologies.
Biltmore collects and processes the Personal Data of customers, website users, partners and service providers to provide on-property, online, reservation, customer support, product purchasing, membership program, etc. services (“Services”). In some instances, we request that you provide certain Personal Data, or other data (such as browser data, device information, data collected through Cookies, aggregated data, etc.), to us directly. If you do not provide the data that we request, or prohibit us from collecting such data, we may not be able to provide all the Services that we offer or you request.
We use Personal Data and other data for our legitimate business interests, including the following:
- Provide the Services You Request. We use Personal Data and other data to provide the Services you request, including to facilitate reservations, payment, administrative communications, reservation confirmations and pre-arrival messages, meetings and events, reservation payment processing, customer service and support, to send electronic receipts, etc. If you provide an email address when making a reservation, we will use that email address to send you a confirmation. If you make a reservation for another person using your email address, that person's confirmation will be emailed to you, as well. The legal basis for this processing is to provide the Services or products you have requested and our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our Sites/business.
- E-mail. We may ask you for your email address when you make a reservation with us or purchase Services or products from us. The primary purpose for collecting your email address is to send you a sales or reservation confirmation. Where permitted by applicable laws, when you transact with us we will automatically send you marketing email about offers and promotions that may be of interest to you. Our confirmation of your email address, and every subsequent marketing email that is sent to you, will allow you to unsubscribe from our marketing communications. Please note that even if you unsubscribe from marketing email messages, we may still email you regarding your account and your transactions or if there is an emergency or situation that requires us to alert you. The legal basis for this processing is to provide the Services or products you have requested (i.e., it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you) and our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our Sites/business or your consent where required.
- Personalize Our Services. We use Personal Data and other data to personalize our Services and improve your Biltmore experience, including when you: (a) visit on-property; (b) use our Sites; (c) request concierge services; (d) receive promotions and offers from us, and; (e) when we send you marketing communications. The legal basis for this processing is to provide the Services or products you have requested (i.e., it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you) and our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our Sites/business or your consent where required.
- Recruitment and Employment Purposes. We use Personal Data in our employment and recruitment processes, including in the context of applicant selection and recruitment. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our business/Sites, including legal compliance, and to make the best recruitment decisions. In certain circumstances, we will ask for your consent when processing your Personal Data related to employment and recruitment. You have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
- Business Purposes. We use Personal Data and other data for security and fraud prevention and monitoring, data analysis, audits, card keys, and other security processes and systems. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper protection of our business against risks.
- Membership Programs. We use Personal Data and other data to enroll you in our membership program and manage your account. We also use Personal Data and other data to send you offers, promotions (either directly or through our business partners) and provide information regarding your account status and activities. The legal basis for this processing is to provide the Services or products you have requested (i.e., it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you) and our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our Sites/business or your consent where required.
- Surveys, Contests and Promotions. We use Personal Data and other data to invite you to participate in surveys, contests and promotions and to manage these activities. These activities have additional rules and may contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Data related to the specific activity. We suggest that you read the rules related to each activity carefully. The legal basis for this processing is to provide the services or products you have requested and our legitimate interests in the proper administration of our Sites/business or your consent where required.
Where we are rely on consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide the Services to you.
Information about our customers, website users, partners and service providers is an important part of our business. We do not sell your Personal Data. We may share your Personal Data with third parties in certain circumstances including:
- On-property Services. We may share your Personal Data with third-party service providers of on-property services including spa, childcare, sports or dining experiences.
- Promotional Offers. We may we send offers to selected groups of Biltmore customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your Personal Data, instead we send you offers on their behalf.
- Third Party Service Providers. We do not sell your Personal Data. We share your Personal Data with third party service providers who provide services or functions on our behalf. These third party vendors include credit card processing companies, transactional processing partners, booking agents, license partners, event and meeting organizers, business analytics platforms, customer service organizations, advertising providers (for the purposes of ad targeting, remarketing and customizing ad content), business partners, distributers of surveys or sweepstakes programs, and fraud prevention firms
- Future Business Transactions. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, restructure or reorganize our business or assets, or cease certain activities. In the event of a sale, restructuring, merger, acquisition, divestiture, etc., of all or part of our business, Biltmore may transfer, sell or assign information, including, without limitation, Personal Data, to affiliated or unaffiliated third parties in connection with these business transactions. To the extent that local laws require it, we will provide notice of our intent to transfer Personal Data to a third party for this purpose.
- Public Forums. Some features of our Sites allow users to make data public or engage in other sharing activities. For example, if you post content, reviews, or otherwise participate in discussion forums, blogs, product reviews, or other social areas of our Sites, your participation (including the content you post, your name, and a link to your profile) may be shared across our Sites and in other public or private areas of the internet.
- Insurers and Advisors. We may disclose your Personal Data to our insurers and professional advisers as reasonably necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, obtaining professional advice, or the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or other legal proceedings.
Unless specifically requested, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, on or through the Services or otherwise to us, Sensitive Personal Data (e.g., religion, ethnicity, political opinions, ideological or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background, trade union membership, or administrative or criminal proceedings and sanctions).
Biltmore does not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If Biltmore learns that it possesses Personal Data from a child under the age of 13, we will make every effort to remove any Personal Data related to a child under 13 from our records. If you are a parent or guardian and are aware that your child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us so that we will be able to take the necessary actions to delete such data.
Biltmore is located in the United States. Personal Data that is voluntarily provided on or via our Sites or otherwise to us may be maintained or accessed in servers or files located in the United States.
We may transfer Personal Data we collect about you pursuant to the purposes described in this Policy to countries that have not been found by the European Commission to provide adequate protection. In particular, we may transfer your personal information to the United States.
We use appropriate safeguards for the transfer of Personal Data to among our partners and third party service providers located in various jurisdictions, and where required, we have, and will continue to, implement data processing agreements and Standard Contractual Clauses or other such safeguards for these purposes. Please contact us at Privacy@biltmore.com if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your Personal Data out of the European Union.
Some of our business partners set web beacons and Cookies on our Sites or we set Cookies for them. In addition, third-party social media buttons may collect certain information such as your IP address, location information, browser type and language, access time, and referring website addresses. Further, if you are logged in to those social media sites, they may also link such collected information with your profile information on that site.
There is no perfect security. We employ appropriate and commercially appropriate and reasonable organizational, technical and administrative safeguards to protect Personal Data. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any credentials that can be used to access any account or service with Biltmore. If you should suspect any unauthorized activity please report this to us immediately. You can report suspicious activity or other concerns by contacting us at:
The Biltmore Company
PO Box 25048
Asheville, NC 28813
We may collect your information from third party sites. This includes when you log in through a third party site such as a reseller website, a referring site, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. We may also disclose information collected from third parties to customize ads and to manage and facilitate messaging on third party sites. Please note that when you unsubscribe from our marketing email there may be a delay in the discontinuation of our ads directed to you on third party sites.
We will keep your Personal Data while we are providing our products and services to you. Thereafter, we will keep your Personal Data for one of these reasons: (a) to respond to any questions, complaints or claims made by you or on your behalf; (b) to satisfy any applicable legal, contractual, regulatory, accounting or reporting requirements.
Biltmore, our affiliates and third parties that we have engaged, may collect and store unique identifiers matched to your mobile device in order to deliver customized ads or content while you use our Sites, navigate the internet, to deliver location-based services and advertising, or to identify you in a unique manner across devices or browsers. In order to customize these ads or content, we, or third parties, may collect Personal Data, e.g., your email address, or data passively collected from you such as your device identifier, location, or IP address. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services.
By adjusting the privacy and security settings on your device, you can manage how your mobile device and mobile browser share information, as well as how your mobile browser handles Cookies and other tracking identifiers. Please refer to instructions provided by your mobile service provider or the manufacturer of your device to learn how to adjust your settings.
Some of our Sites give you the choice to opt-in to receiving text messages and alerts on the mobile phone number(s) you have shared with us. Once you have opted-in, we may send you text messages (i) regarding your account; (ii) to investigate or prevent fraud; and (iii) to alert you in the event of an emergency; (iv) notify you as to the status of reservations and services you requested, and (v) contact you after leaving our employment for HR related purposes. We may send you text messages and alerts using autodialed technology. Also, from time to time, we may run certain campaigns that provide you with the ability to send a text message to a specific short code and provide an Opt-In to receive future text messages. Your Opt-In request provides us with your mobile phone number. If you choose to Opt-In, you agree that we may, from time to time, send messages to the mobile device associated with that number about new products, promotions, services, or offers.
You may choose to opt-out from our non-emergency text messages and alerts at any time by following the instructions in the message you received. Once you opt-out, you will not receive any additional non-emergency text messages via your mobile phone. If you do not want to be alerted by text in the event of an emergency, please do not share your phone number with us. Please keep in mind that if you opt-out of receiving text messages and alerts we may not be able to contact you with important messages regarding your account. However, if there is an emergency or account question, we will make every attempt to contact you in other ways such as by email or on a land line phone. You do not have to opt-in to text messages and alerts to use and enjoy our Sites and services. If you opt-in, standard text messaging charges may apply. For more information regarding our text messaging and alerts, please contact us at Privacy@biltmore.com.
Under certain conditions, you may have the right to request from Biltmore, among other things:
- The right to access your Personal Data;
- The right to rectification of your Personal Data;
- The right to erasure of your Personal Data;
- The right to restrict processing of your Personal Data;
- The right to object to processing of your Personal Data;
- The right to data portability of your Personal Data;
- The right to unsubscribe from marketing material at any time;
- The right to withdraw consent at any time to any consent based processing activity (i.e., direct marketing to your email account); and
- The right to complain to a supervisory authority.
For more information on the full extent of your rights or to exercise your rights, please contact our Privacy Officer (below) or e-mail us at Privacy@Biltmore.com.
Where applicable, we will respond to valid requests to exercise any of the rights set out above within 30 days of receipt, unless there are extenuating circumstances, in which event we may take up to 60 days to respond. We will inform you if we expect our response to take longer than 30 days. Please note, however, that certain Personal Data may be exempt from such rights pursuant to applicable data protection laws. In addition, we will not respond to any request unless we are able to appropriately verify the requester’s identity. We may charge you a reasonable fee for subsequent copies of data that you request.
Biltmore’s Privacy Officer may be contacted at:
Privacy@Biltmore.com, or:Attn: Privacy Officer
The Biltmore Company
PO Box 25048
Asheville, NC 28813
Subject to certain limits under California Civil Code § 1798.83, if you are a California resident, you may ask us to provide you with (i) a list of certain categories of personal information (as defined in the Civil Code) that we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (ii) the identity of the third parties that received personal information from us for their direct marketing purposes during that calendar year. To make such a request, please contact us at Privacy@Biltmore.com.
The Biltmore Company
PO Box 25048
Asheville, NC 28813
- We will now use the term “Sites” to describe our website, mobile apps, blogs, etc.
- We clarify the types of Personal Data we collect about you and the ways we collect this Personal Data. We collect Personal Data in many ways, including from third party sites, social media sites, and advertising networks.
- We describe how we share and use your Personal Data whether collected by our Sites, or other sites, including social media sites and third party sites, for the purposes of ad targeting, remarketing and customizing ad content.
- We describe our use of email communications and text messaging and how to opt out and/or control these communications.
- We notify users as to their rights under the GDPR and California Shine the Light law where applicable.
- We clarify that your Personal Data may be transferred across international borders for processing and other uses.
- We clarify how we share your Personal Data with our suppliers, third party vendors and referring sites.
- We include information on Do Not Track signals.