Camping in Pisgah Forest, circa 1901
Estate History 07/18/14
Written By Judy Ross
Summertime in the mountains brings to mind thoughts of hiking trails, wading in clear creeks, and visiting a waterfall or two—sometimes all on the same excursion. Just as many of us do today, George Vanderbilt and his friends often found the lush forests of Western North Carolina calling their names. They frequently headed out for multi-day trips to explore the beauty of Pisgah Forest, according to information gathered by Lori Garst, Curatorial Assistant in Museum Services.
Several years before George Vanderbilt’s Biltmore House was completed, the call of the mountains led Vanderbilt and his friends into the forest to camp, fish, shoot, and enjoy the beauty of Western North Carolina.
In June 1893, Estate manager Charles McNamee wrote to Dr. Westray Battle that he was so glad that Dr. Battle would be joining Mr. Vanderbilt’s camping excursion. McNamee prepared Battle by telling him that the group was headed to a place near Brevard where they would be met by Mr. Vanderbilt’s mules and then would proceed on towards the camp. McNamee outfitted the party for fly fishing and recommended that Battle take a firearm “for service or sport.”
Calming any hesitation about roughing it in the backwoods, the Estate manager assured Dr. Battle that there would be tents, a cot for each man, and even a cook. McNamee writes, “I thought it better to be semi-respectable in our camp rather than to be absolutely savage…”
Years later, a series of photographs taken by Dr. Carl Schenck, Estate Forester, document a lively 1901 trip into Pisgah by Mr. and Mrs. Vanderbilt. Included in the large party were Dr. Battle, Marion Olmsted (F.L. Olmsted’s daughter), and Dr. Schenk. The Vanderbilts returned from an extended stay in Europe on June 6 and, without wasting any time, Charles McNamee began arranging for the outing within a few days.
McNamee ordered two tents on June 8, 1901; however, he received no reply. Requests for the tents continued until June 26. All other provisions for the excursion were in order. Perhaps in response to the lack of tents, a plea came from Vanderbilt to Schenck to build a place where the group could stay near Looking Glass Rock. Schenck’s workers built a cabin in three days, earning the cabin the name “Three Day Camp.” The cabin had six rooms, a porch, and a dining room.
We are fortunate to have 22 photographs documenting the Vanderbilts’ excursion in 1901, beginning on June 30 with a photo of a group of men with mules. The remaining images show the trip to Looking Glass Rock with stops along the way at Looking Glass Falls, an unnamed waterfall which we now recognize as Sliding Rock, Looking Glass Creek, and Three Day Camp. The final image is of Carl Schenck’s house in Pisgah with the men and mules. The back reads, “Making ready to leave for Buck Spring Lodge July 1, 1901.”
Today, you can still visit the many sites the Vanderbilts’ went to in 1901 including Looking Glass Rock, Sliding Rock and Looking Glass Falls. There are several camping spots in the area, too!
Main photo: Vanderbilt campsite in the Pink Beds, July 1901.
Photo top right: Mules leading the way to campsite, 1901.
Photo middle left: Edith Vanderbilt at the top of Looking Glass Falls, 1901.
Photo bottom right: Dr. Westray Battle, George Vanderbilt, and Dr. Carl Schenck, 1901.