Arugula and Feta Salad
This is a great salad that can be adapted to work year-round. By just changing the fruit to a seasonal fruit, will keep your guest loving this salad for any occasion. The vinaigrette pairs well with many types of lettuces, especially bitter greens.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes, Cook Time: 10 minutes
Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1/4 cup champagne or white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup sunflower or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (orange blossom honey works well)
- 1 tablespoon finely minced preserved lemon rind (can purchase at your local specialty grocer)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste ( 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper)
- 1 pound fresh baby arugula - crisp and peppery tasting
- 4 - 6 ounces crumbled feta
- 4 ounces hazelnuts
- 3 clementines
Toast hazelnuts until slightly browned and cool. Crush with a mallet, just to break up to smaller pieces. For the clementines, peel and segment.
In a blender combine the vinegar, honey, preserved lemon, Dijon mustard, and shallot. Blend until incorporated. On low speed, gradually drizzle the oil in to create an emulsification. Once all oil is in or the vinaigrette is at a nice thick dressing consistency, add salt and pepper to taste. Can be stored in a mason jar for up to 30 days in the refrigerator.
In a large mixing bowl add 3 generous handfuls of arugula and 3 tablespoons of preserved lemon vinaigrette. Dress this very lightly as not to take away from the peppery flavor of the arugula. Season with a touch of salt. Top with desired amount of crumbled feta, hazelnuts, and clementines, and serve.