New Year’s Eve: The perfect time to turn up the sparkle!
All Things Biltmore • 12/21/12
Written By Leeann Donnelly
Jodee Mitchell and Jill Rutherford, our Inn’s talented floral design team, know just how to create shine and polish for all kinds of events, but especially for New Year’s Eve celebrations around the table. Here are some of their ideas for beautiful and memorable tablescapes.
* Take a look around your home to see what kinds of everyday objects you can transform into extraordinary elements. You’d be surprised by what you can do with what you already have, such as candles, glass vases and the like. Of course, if you come up short, a trip to the local crafts store may be necessary.
* Start with table linens to build a base for your centerpiece. Layer your linens, starting with a table cloth; then add an overlay, and finish with a runner. Build texture by mixing solid colors, metallics and elegant prints.
* If you don’t have them on hand, you can purchase oversized martini or Champagne glasses, or vases for the centerpiece. If room permits, use three different heights and add some tulips to each glass, letting them spill over the edge. Acrylic gems added to the water in the vases will create a sparkling effect.
* Another centerpiece idea is to use one or several clear glass vases that are varying in height and fill each vase with water pearls and LED submersible lights (available at any craft store). Metallic twigs in each vase will add extra sparkle to the table.
* Don’t forget candlelight. If you have room, use a variety of sizes: pillars, candlesticks and votives. The more, the better!
* At the base of your vases and candles, add oversized gems or crystals to reflect the light. For a more whimsical look, add a variety of clocks so you can watch the countdown to the New Year.
* Most importantly, remember to have fun and don’t hold back on your creativity.
Happy New Year!
About the photo: Your holiday table may not be as large as the one in the Banquet Hall of Biltmore House, but don’t let that stop you from creating a memorable and sparkly setting. Instead, let it inspire you!